Anyway, I did manage to have my advent list sorted in time although I didn't get the calendar up on time so I had to wing it for the first couple of days. It's all good now. Our Advent calendar is our old faithful that I made a few years ago. I put each little card in the slots and then have the presents/chocolates etc wrapped underneath. They look like this.
I have actually decorated it a bit with tinsel since I took this photo so it doesn't look so plain. The cards are hidden inside each pocket.
The presents are wrapped in brown paper or are in a brown paper bag and sealed with washi tape and then labelled with the date.
Here is our advent list of surprises for 2012.
- A new Smurfs Advent Calendar to put together each day (made by Mega Blocks, so like lego)
- A box of McDonald's cookies
- A new DVD - The Smurf's Christmas Carol
- Writing letters to Santa, a printable with link HERE
- A new DVD - Arthur Christmas
- Activity books that I picked up in Woolworths
- Making a lolly tree
- Making chatterboxes, link HERE
- A packet of Christmas tattoos
- Making a fabric wreath and pom poms and some beaded bracelets
- Making reindeer food
- A trip to Wet n Wild
- Making Christmas crackers
- Decorating Christmas cookies (I got this in a pack in Woolworths too)
- Going to see a movie
- A playdate with friends
- A trip away to the city for the weekend
- New pj's, a couple of new DVD's and making Santa's plate, going to see Christmas lights etc.
In the past I have added things that happen no matter what like school discos etc but last year I found the kids got bored with having that stuff on their card so I've kept this years stuff different and more of a surprise.
We've also got our book a day leading up to Christmas going, we are loving reading the books each day.
And today we finally got our decorations out and now the house is ready for Christmas. We've got new lights on the Christmas tree and it looks gorgeous (although we love our tree so much we say that every year).
And every year I buy a few new decorations. This dingo bauble I got when we went to Fraser Island for our anniversary in September, to remember our time there.
And of course there are a couple of new owl decorations.
And I have wanted a nativity for years but have had trouble finding one that I like. When in Myer the other day I came across this one, loved it and so I had to have it.
Now, I really have to get started on my hand made presents or I am going to run out of time really soon.