As we head off for our school holidays to Airlie Beach I made up a little pack to help them with the long stints of driving, so here is what I put together.
I haven't got any photos today but I don't think you really need them. First I got a large brown gift bag and filled it with the following (they don't know all the stuff in the bag, so some is a surprise)
- New DVD's. We went to the shops last week and they picked 2 new ones each and then during the week I found another one they would like so I slipped that in too as a surprise. We are lucky that we have a roof mounted dvd player in our car...a must for our family and road trips!
- A magazine each. Just for some casual flicking through/reading. And they love getting those little gifts they come with.
- Travel games. We already have travel bingo. I also found quite a few new travel games on Pinterest so I printed them off, laminated them and we have them now too (we have a little pencil case in the car with whiteboard markers to play the laminated games). They incude; a new bingo (picture below), hangman, travel battleships, dots and lines, tic tac toe. You can find the link to them HERE.
- A few little surprise packets of chocolates and lollies.
- An activity/colouring in book with new pens and pencils.
- And lastly a pack of glow in the dark bangles for when we get there.
We also travel with plenty of snack food and I have found the best way to travel with food is to put it in a small plastic tub/box. This way nothing gets squashed or broken and it is waterproof and crumb proof. We have a small plastic bag for the rubbish. I always put a large towel down under the kids too so all the crumbs etc that do escape can be shaken off at each stop (there is nothing worse than a dirty car when you're away). I haven't decided all of what is going in the box yet. We will definitely put in some fruit, some Shapes biscuits, I have a packet of Fantales and probably some chips etc.
Hopefully the kids will be happy and we will be too!
Now I have to go, this was a bit of a rushed post so I hope I explained everything ok. I'm off to see my wonderful girl dance today before we head off.
Have a fabulous school holiday Australian peeps, I'll be back in two weeks!