Saturday, March 17, 2012

Finally, some creativity...

I have finally gotten into gear and started doing something creative again this year.  I just could not find my mojo for such a long time.  I have always been a fan of the project called 39 squares which you can read about here.  One of my favourite bloggers, Mel Goodsell has done/is doing a variation of the project (you can see hers here) so I thought I would give it a go too.  



I have chosen to do 36 squares.  I also chose to embroider all my squares in one colour and all at once as a start.  I have only just started so I haven't managed to fill in many squares yet.  My squares are 5cm x 5cm in size.




Here are some close ups so far.  I have to say that I am a really terrible drawer so simple pictures is what you will see on my project. 




Also I am very new to embroidery so I can only do back stitch at this stage so there are no fancy stitches going on, I still think my squares look nice with the basic stitch.  



And for anyone who is wondering (because I was and I just had to work it out myself) I start by drawing a pencil rough draft and then (because I don't have a light box) I put it under the fabric up on the window and trace it into a square with a water erasable pen.  Then I stitch over the top.  Any pen left showing I will erase when I am completely done.  I am still trying to work out the best way to remove it, if you know of a good way I would love for you to tell me...please!




These are some of my sketches ready to trace.  The trouble with this project is you need it to be daylight to trace your pictures on, unless you have a light box of course.


Looks like it is going to be dreary weekend here, hope it is sunnier at your house!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments you may have about my blog, even just a hi to let me know someone is reading it!