Monday, January 3, 2011

Fabric Coasters Tutorial

I have never done a tutorial before, basically because I always follow other people's tutorials to make things, but when I made my coasters I couldn't find one that I liked.  They are so super simple that I thought I would do my first tutorial on how I made mine. 


Fabric Coasters (set of 4)

Materials:  You will only need scraps of material and a fat quarter will make plenty of these.  Mine measure 4 1/2" square before sewn and 4"square when finished.  You will also need a small piece of batting and matching thread.

Make you template of 4 1/2" square out of card or paper and then use it to cut 8 fabric squares and 4 squares of batting.




Sew 2 squares right sides together with batting underneath for each coaster and pin into place leaving a 1" gap for turning.



 Sew, leaving a 1/4" seam around edges but remember to leave your opening for turning.


 Clip your corners and turn right side out.

 Use a knitting needle to push out the corners.

 Iron the coasters

Top stitch all the way around the outside edge.


To finish mine off I sewed lines every inch or so to give it a bit of a quilted look.


And then you will have a set of coasters! 


These would be great to sew for a hand made gift for someone, they use your scraps or very little material and are really easy and quick to make.  You can even put them in the washing machine if the get something spilt on them. 

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute and look easy! You are so clever and your instructions are easy to follow....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, very cute. Great idea and great tutorial. Tanya

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear any comments you may have about my blog, even just a hi to let me know someone is reading it!